Burnout. A state of emotional, physical, and mental exhaustion caused by excessive and prolonged stress. It occurs when you feel overwhelmed, emotionally drained, and unable to meet constant demands. Other words – when you’re MAN-DOWN!
How do you deal with it?
1.) Step away from the laptop. Seriously. Don’t try and force yourself to work. Your productivity and the quality of your work will be piss-poor.
2.) Sleep. If you’re feeling like this during the day, take a long nap. If evening, go to bed early. Amazing how that resets you.
3) Push everything non-essential out for one or two days. DO NOT TAKE ON ANY NEW PROJECTS! Also, cancel any non-essential meetings.
4) Choose a TV show to watch on Netflix or HBO. Feels like a waste of time? No more so than staring aimlessly at your laptop, swinging between Facebook and Instagram.
5) The TV show will stop you from thinking about yourself, your work, your stress. The characters you develop feelings for will act as surrogates to the real humans you could have in your life – this reduces the stress you feel.
6) After a few hours (or days if you’re seriously burnt out) you’ll naturally feel like you want to return to work.
7) Now clear all your tabs, make sure your laptop is running fast, and get back to work.
How do you recover from burnout?